How to Pick a Massage Therapist School near South Beach OR
Choosing the right massage therapy school near South Beach OR is an important first step to beginning a rewarding first or second career as a massage therapist. After all, who wouldn’t want to work in an occupation where the sole purpose is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists can work in a wide variety of locations, including hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! But before starting a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, receiving the proper training and licensing is a must. And keep in mind that not all massage therapy programs are alike. When making your evaluations, it’s important that you look at all aspects of the schools you are considering and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide some basic tips that you should incorporate into your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapist school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools near South Beach OR teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Education Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy near South Beach OR require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Attending Massage Therapy School near South Beach OR?
If you live in the South Beach Oregon or are considering enrolling in a massage therapy program in that area, following is some interesting and useful information regarding the location of your future school campus.
South Beach, also nicknamed SoBe, is a neighborhood in the city of Miami Beach, Florida, United States, located due east of Miami city proper between Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. The area encompasses all of the barrier islands of Miami Beach south of Indian Creek.
This area was the first section of Miami Beach to be developed, starting in the 1910s, due to the development efforts of Carl G. Fisher, the Lummus Brothers, and John S. Collins, the latter of whose construction of the Collins Bridge provided the first vital land link between mainland Miami and the beaches.
The area has gone through numerous artificial and natural changes over the years, including a booming regional economy, increased tourism, and the 1926 hurricane, which destroyed much of the area. As of 2010, 39,186 people lived in South Beach.
What to Ask Massage Therapy Programs
Before you choose a massage therapy school, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from South Beach OR. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapist training program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Pick the Right Massage Therapy Course near South Beach OR
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. And by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by choosing the right school and training program. With the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the South Beach Oregon area.
More Areas of Interest in Oregon
Business Results 1 - 10 of 12
Bing: Oregon Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Physical Therapy Schools in Arizona with Degree Program Info
A.T. Still University of Health Science. One of two private physical therapy colleges in Arizona, the A.T. Still University of Health Science offers a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree program at ...
Massage Therapy License Requirements | Certification ...
The majority of states have massage therapy license requirements in place or a certification system in place. these requirements must be met prior to legally being able to practice as a massage therapist. MassageTherapyLicense.org has researched, organized, filtered and clarified these requirements in each state so that you can now easily find the specific massage therapy license requirement ...
Physical Therapy Assistant Programs CAPTE Accredited PTA ...
As mentioned before, the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) is the accrediting agency for schools offering physical therapy assistant programs. It is crucial that you attend an accredited physical therapist assistant school so that you can obtain your license to perform PTA work in all states.
California Massage Therapy Council | Providing voluntary ...
California Massage Therapy Council is a private nonprofit public benefit corporation, to protect the public by certifying massage professionals in California. ... Have all schools you attended for massage training submit original Official Transcripts directly to CAMTC in accordance with CAMTC’s Policies and Procedures for Approval of Schools.
Locations - Paul Mitchell Schools
Want to become a cosmetologist, barber, esthetician, or nail tech? Learn from the best at Paul Mitchell Schools Learn more and find a school near you!
Welcome CE Express - Elite Learning - Elite Healthcare
Welcome CE Express Students CE Express by Western Schools is now a part of Elite Learning with nursing continuing education courses designed to fulfill your state requirements, maintain your nursing license and help you deliver better patient care.
Kinesiotherapy vs. Physical Therapy: What's the Difference?
Physical therapy schools are available across the country, including physical therapy schools in New Jersey and physical therapy schools in Texas. These programs require 1-year residencies after ...
Horse Massage Therapy Training Programs | April Love ...
April Love, our holistic horse training expert/therapist! Contact us for effective Equine massage therapy programs. We offer variety of services direct to horses, and training for owners in the form of group classes, one-on-one private sessions, and videos available free and for purchase.
Geographic profile for Massage Therapists: States and areas with the highest published employment, location quotients, and wages for Massage Therapists are provided. For a list of all areas with employment in Massage Therapists, see the Create Customized Tables function.
Respiratory Therapy Continuing Education
Respiratory Therapy Continuing Education Explore CE courses for respiratory therapists designed to fulfill your requirements and grow your expertise so you can get back to what’s important: caring for your patients.